Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Lifting up hands

If ever someone , say your friend comes up to you and ask you why do you lift your hands in worship? what will be your answer? I guess you can say this blog is a good source of knowledge on how to defend your faith...cuz that has always been my interest apart from being a missionary.

So, lifting up holy hands.any of you can quote me a scripture...give you 10 seconds to think of it...
10...9....8.....5....1...times up...=). So is it really stated in the bible? Honestly i never knew it actually existed until i was just reading my bible randomly and came across 1 timothy 2: 8

"I want men everywhere to lift up holy hands in prayer, without anger or disputing"

So really why do we do the things we do? does it make one more holy if he/she lifts up his/her hand?Why must we lift up our hands?To start off, i would say it is not a must that you must follow the "rules" of worship. to me, worship is a lifestyle...not a special occasion. gone are the days when people needed to sacrifice animals to atone their sins.....now our life itself is a living sacrifice(romans 12:1).

So realising that it is not a must to lift up our hands.....then why do we do it? If you lift up your hands because other christians are doing it...or because the pastor says so....hmmm you know what will God say about it? IT says in isaiah 29 :13

"The Lord says:
"These people come near to me with their mouth
and honor me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me.
Their worship of me
is made up only of rules taught by men. "

It is amazing how God sees us differently from what people see us.i would stop here cuz it will be elaborated in the next post.hmmm so why do we lift up our hands?

You know, it isnt a must that we do it. I dont know about you, but I lift up my hands as a symbol of total surrender to God. When a police sees a person lifts up his hands, the police will know that he surrendered and is willing to submit to whatever orders are given in the next few moments. The same goes with God.When we lift up our hands, it is just a symbolic refrence as total submission before God.

God bless

No comments: